I tend to list my top favorite movies of the year not under the category of "best movie" because, hell some of them are not great movies at all... I don't care, I go to see movies for the fun of it, and if a movie managed to get me to have fun , that's exactly what I wanted, If I saw it more than once, and if I actually own it... that makes for a great fun flick.
Alas, this year it was harder than I thought, I have a bunch of movies that were fun and I enjoyed every minute of them, and then, there was a movie that was fun and good, better than the rest but not as fun as them all, I have seen it only once, and I do not own it yet (but I will) and yet I feel it deserves to get the best flick of the year, but I'll get to it...
Here are some other movie related bests and worsts of...
Best fight - Donnie Yen vs. Sammu Hung. The masters' challenge - Ip Man 2 - This fight was not only long, but also had the guys do some stuff I have never seen before. It is changes styles on the fly and the choreography by Sammu Hung is amazing. I have seen that fight over 5 times already.... kicks my ass every time.
Runner ups: France WWI battle - Legend of the fist. Shootout in the dark - Kick Ass.
Best Soundtrack - Scott Pilgrim vs. the World - With original music by Beck, Metric and more, how can you go wrong?
Runner up: Kick-Ass
Best Score - Daft Punk Tron: Legacy - The best combination of orchestra and electronic music. Fits the movie 100% and is just good old fashion big score, makes you feel like you're in the grid every time you listen to it.
Runner up: Clint Mansel - Black Swan, Hans Zimmer - Inception
Best Character: - Justin Hammer, Sam Rockwell - Iron Man 2 - he was just awesome every second he was on screen, just perfect
Runner ups: Marvin Boggs, John Malkovich -RED, Kieran, Jemaine Clement - Dinner for Schmucks, Murdock, Sharlto Copley - the A-Team
Hottest MILF: Mary-Louise Parker -RED
Best Duo: Will Farrell and Mark Whalberg - The Other Guys
Worst of everything:
Most disappointing: Predators and The Expendables - such good premise on both of them, with great casts and options for just about everything they could think of, and yet both movies were predictable, The Expendables was also lacking in the excitement department and the acting was just god awefull...
Most over hyped: Black Swan - again, predictable, predictable, predictable.... And the "Shocking" sex scene... come on!
"Why am I still watching these movies" movie: Harry Potter - yes, it finally had a plot and felt like a movie, but a boring and lacking one!
Worst movie, runner ups: Jonah Hex, Skyline, Legion, Macgruber
Worst of the worst: Piranha - I will say this first, I'm not into campy stuff, I think you don't have to make a bad movie if you don't have a lot of money. I don't think tongue in cheek means it has to have bad acting and a bad story doesn't mean you can't have fun. Well this movie had all of the above, bad acting, bad directing, horrible SFX, terribly stupid story, and over all just didn't merit being made at all.... ugggh....
So now the ones I Enjoyed:
Second Five: Tangled, The Other guys, Inception, Red, Get him to the Greek
5. Tron: Legacy - just what the doctor needed, but only if you saw and LIKED the first one. Better in almost every aspect (all but the breakthrough idea), amazingly beautiful, well acted, great CG, awesome music and a great new take on sci- fi action flicks.
4. Kick-Ass - Better than the comic hands down. Great casting, pacing, directing and action, was funny, exciting and just a kick to the balls!
3. Scott Pilgrim vs The World - yet another great adaptation of a comic book, best editing I have seen this year, amazing cast, dialogues and acting, awesome soundtrack... just so much fun!
2. Iron Man 2 - A perfect continuation to the first one. With bigger action, funner characters, more set pieces and just over all more. Without the need to introduce origins and too much background IM2 just kept adding to what was already there, and Justin Hammer was awesome!
1. The A-Team. Yes I know.... but this is the movie I had the most fun with. I saw it three times in one week. The cast just nails the parts, the action is great, the pacing is perfect and it's just the fun, light-hearted action that made the original show what it was, and somehow they managed to make it ever funner!
Yet still one movie was above the rest in being, fun, serious, amazing, touching and basically everything in one... TOY STORY 3. The best movie of the year, that I have seen.